Translate

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Why nothing ever gets finished

I have come to the conclusion that there is a certain discipline that I lack, to put things aside and sit down and write and process. When I'm here for a short period of time -- even now, a month seems ridiculously short -- I can't resist to spend the time soaking up experiences rather than processing the ones I've had. And so carving out the time to write becomes a challenge -- even now, I should be getting myself to bed since I got about three hours of sleep last night, if that, and I have to get up early and I have a LOT of driving to do tomorrow, but I am forcing myself to write even just a little. Plus that the particular style of research I've chosen (sporadic, disorganized, or just going with the flow, responding to circumstances) means that I spent a lot of time getting from one place to another. Driving is good for thinking but not for writing.

And so, since my last extended description of what I have been doing -- visiting Santa Cruz Barillas last Saturday - an entire week has passed, and while not every day has been worth recording in great detail, there have been enough interesting things to make me think I should have just spent today writing, rather than trying to do some personal visits, travel to another radio station, and then come all the way out to Xela again so I can visit yet another radio station in the wee hours of the morning (well, 6 a.m.) and then drive to the capital.

So, as you might note, the description of the celebration of the b'aq'tun hasn't been finished; there was another ceremony at the home of Rigoberta Menchú that I haven't even started; there are all the visits to the radio stations; plus some interesting interviews and conversations.  And then last night, January 11, was the election of the "umial tinamit" - the "daughter of the town", what the "indigenous princess/queen" pageants are called in some parts of Quiché.

Therefore, a big backlog of things to work on. Better get started.. except some friends are coming from the U.S. and we have two days of hiking planned. So..... just more to add to the "to-do" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment